Sunday, March 15, 2009

Doo doo doo.... BAM!

So, as I said in the last post, SS backed into another ambulance with our ambulance.

Here's the thing with that: In our SOPs, we are supposed to have a backer for ANYTIME we are backing up the ambulance. Of course, this doesn't actually happen unless we are on a scene and the fire department is there and they are doing it because we are patient-loaded. Is this practiced by our higher ups? Nope. By our administration? Nope. Is this ACTUALLY covered during orietation? Nope.

When I went inside to find TGO, SS came inside originally, then when I realized that TGO was dropping a deuce and went to get supplies, SS just went off to find something shiny I guess. She was avoiding going inside the building like it was contaminated. She didn't even say anything like "Well, I guess I have to do an accident survey report" or such.

So, when I told TGO that SS had backed into the other ambulance, I was told that we would both get a written reprimand because I should have been backing her up. I looked at TGO and said, "What? BOTH of us?!? I'm not the one that backed into another freaking ambulance. It's not like she didn't know it was there. I was about to tell her that she was going to far back when I heard the thunk." TGO told me, "Well, you know that SS has been in five wrecks prior to this one. That's just with our company. She's wrecked a truck with me in it because she just wasn't paying attention." I told TGO that it was obviously an ongoing issue, I only knew of her being in two previous wrecks, and that they should just fire SS.

Now, here's the thing that really chaps my ass about this: They KNOW that she has been in multiple wrecks with the other 911 and transfer services that she works for and she has been in multiple wrecks with this company.

So, TGO went out and looked at the damage and decided that nothing needed to be done since the damage was barely noticable.

When I talk to SS about it later and tell her that it DID need to be reported to TGO and she should have been the one to tell TGO, not me, she got all ass hurt. SS first told me that she isn't used to backing up without a spotter. Then she told me that she wasn't used to backing into any stations.

Then she told me that she forgot her glasses. When I asked where they were, she told me "Oh I was running late for work this morning and forgot them at home." Turns out, they are for DEPTH PERCEPTION!!!! You know, that thing that's REALLY damn important to drive safely. I told her she should have told me that and that if she doesn't have her glasses that she is required to wear while driving then she needed to go home and shouldn't have come in to work today without them. I had to tell TGO this and we figured out that if there were any more calls during the shift than I would drive to the scene and whatever patient it was, she would just have to ride it in so that she was never driving.

This kind of shit really pisses me off. If I walked into a job as a welder and wasn't wearing a facemask, it would be really friggen dumb to allow me to stay there and work. If I was a police officer and showed up without my gun, I wouldn't be allowed to go out on patrol. That's just the way it is. Other EMS places would have required her to go home and get her glasses and return to duty with them or told her to just take her ass home.

Of course, we're hurting so bad for medics, they don't say anything about this kind of shit. You can kill a patient and still keep your job here.

No comments:

Post a Comment